In crafting a new anthem, I had several design objectives and constraints in mind:
- The text should not be about war or the flag.
- The text should not invoke God. (We are a secular nation.)
- The text should be primarily about what is unique about our country—our people and our form of government, not our landscape.
- The text should be in familiar language.
- The text should actually name the country whose anthem it is.
- The tune should be singable by normal people.
- The tune should be stirring, probably in 2/4 or 4/4 time.
- The tune should sound like a national anthem, not like a pop song or aria.
Comments (on my anthem, not my performance—I don’t claim to be a vocal soloist)?
The winner will be announced on the July 4th weekend. As best as I can tell, there are no prizes other than a mention on the radio.