- The text should not be about war or the flag.
- The text should not invoke God. (We are a secular nation.)
- The text should be primarily about what is unique about our country—our people and our form of government, not our landscape.
- The text should be in familiar language.
- The text should actually name the country whose anthem it is.
- The tune should be singable by normal people.
- The tune should be stirring, probably in 2/4 or 4/4 time.
- The tune should sound like a national anthem, not like a pop song or aria.
June 19, 2010
National Symbols (Again)
Submissions to the Studio 360 “Redesign July 4th Challenge” are due by midnight tomorrow. (See my earlier post on the subject here.) After a few frantic days of work, I submitted a proposed replacement for the National Anthem this afternoon. I call my new anthem “Out of Many, One.” In crafting a new anthem, I had several design objectives and constraints in mind: