Here are just a few ideas I copied down while watching the video:
- Sections 1 and 2 are difficult to object to. Problems start with Section 3 and, particularly, Section 4.
- Section 4 represents the “meat” of the document.
- There is little role for the laity in the mechanisms described in the covenant draft.
- The current draft is less doctrinal that previous ones. The draft is, in the end, political.
- It is not clear at what point the covenant, as it is adopted by provinces, becomes the Anglican Covenant.
- The organization of the Communion embedded in the covenant draft looks much like the organization of the British Commonwealth.
- It is not clear how well implementation of the covenant processes will allow for the work of the Holy Spirit.
- There is a danger that, as soon as the covenant is in place, The Episcopal Church will be ousted from the Communion and replaced with the Anglican Church in North America.